Open Access Open Access  Restricted Access Subscription Access

Recouping the missing web citations in Library Hi-Tech journal

Vinay Kumar, Sampath Kumar


The main purpose of the present study is to examine the trend and accessibility of web citations cited in the articles published in in Library Hi-Tech journal. It also intended to know the recovery of missing web citations using Time Travel. A total of 3912 web citations cited in 568 research articles published in Library Hi-Tech journal during 2006-2017. The study used W3C link checker to check the accessibility of web citations. Further, a list of missing web citations was separated. The study has also been made an attempt to recoup the missing web citations using Time Travel. The study found that the average web citations per article are 6.89. The study found that 23.29% of web citations were not accessible and remaining 76.71% of web citations are accessible. The use of Time Travel to recover missing web citations has shown that the Wayback machine was able to recover 60.92% of missing web citations followed by the Library of Congress Web Archive and Bib Alexandria. The findings of the study help authors, web masters, and librarians to understand the missing behavior of web citations cited in LIS scholarly articles and to use methods to recover those missing web citations

Full Text:



Burnhill, P., Mewissen, M. & Wincewicz, R. Reference rot in scholarly statement: threat and remedy. Insights. 28 (2), 2015.

Casserly, M. & Byrd, J. Web citation availability: analysis and implications for scholarship. College and Research Libraries. 64 (4), 2003, 300–317.

Gul, S., Mahajan, I. & Ali, A. (2014), The growth and decay of URLs citation : A case of an online Library & Information Science. Malaysian Journal of Library & Information Science. 19 (3), 2014, 27–39.

Klein, M. et al. Scholarly context not found: one in five articles suffers from reference rot. PloS one. 9 (12), 2014, e115253.

Sampath Kumar, B. T. &Vinay Kumar, D. HTTP 404-page (not) found: Recovery of decayed URL citations. Journal of Informetrics. 7 (1), 2013, 145–157.

McCown, F. et al. The availability and persistence of web references in D-Lib Magazine. 2005, arXiv preprint cs/0511077.

Prithviraj, K. R. & Sampath Kumar, B. T. Corrosion of URLs: Implications for electronic publishing. IFLA journal. 40 (1), 2014, 35–47.

Sadat-Moosavi, A., Isfandyari-Moghaddam, A. & Tajeddini, O. Accessibility of online resources cited in scholarly LIS journals: A study of Emerald ISI-ranked journals. Aslib Proceedings. 64 (2), 2012, 178–192.

Sampath Kumar, B. T. & Manoj Kumar, K. S. Persistence and half-life of URL citations cited in LIS open access journals. Aslib Proceedings. 64 (2), 2012, 405–422.

Sife, A. S. & Lwoga, E. T. Retrieving vanished Web references in health science journals in East Africa. Information and Learning Science. 118(7/8), 2017, 385–392.

Tajeddini, O., Azimi, A. and Moghaddam, H. S. (2017), Death of web citations: a serious alarm for authors. Malaysian Journal of Library & Information Science. 16 (3), 2017, 17–29.


  • There are currently no refbacks.

Disclaimer 2016-2019 © Indian Library Association (ILA), All Rights Reserved.

Designed and Developed by Dr. Mohammad Nazim under the direction of Prof. Shabahat Husain.